The number of journalists killed in the line of duty in Somali this year has reached 18, the second highest toll in the world after Syria according to the UN Human Rights Office (OHCHR).
The latest victim is Warsame Shire Awale, a well known Somali musician and poet working for Radio Kulmiyehas who was gunned down on Monday.
The National Union of Somali Journalists says Mr Warsame had received threats linked to critical comments he had made about gunmen who target civilians.
Another journalist Mohamed Mohamud Turyare died on Sunday after being shot on his way home a week earlier.
The UN Human Rights Office is urging the new government of Somalia to take urgent steps to protect journalists and other media workers and bring to justice those behind the killings.
Rupert Colville is the spokesperson for the UN Human rights office.
“Each death should be properly investigated. Al Shabab has allegedly claimed responsibility for around ten of the killings this year, but the remainder may have been committed by other elements easier to investigate and arrest. The role of the media is crucial as Somalia tries to get back to its feet, and the continued regular slaughter of the country’s journalists risks stifling the media’s ability to contribute to an improvement in law and order and good governance.”
[eo: In similar instances globally: ]
The UN Human Rights office has also condemned Mondays attack on Bolivian radio journalist Fernando Vidal.
The journalist together with his studio technician, were reportedly doused in petrol and set on fire while in the studio in the town of Yacuiba near the border with Argentina.
via More Somali journalists killed in line of duty. <– On the United Nations Site
- Popular Somali poet gunned down (bbc.co.uk)
- Gumen Kill 2 More Somali Journalists (blogs.voanews.com)
- Radio dramatist’s murder raises Somalia media death toll to 18 (guardian.co.uk)
- Islamists kill 2 more Somali journalists (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- As one Somali journalist is buried, a top poet and comedian is slain (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Somali journalist dies after shooting (dailystar.com.lb)
- Top Somali general dies in ambush (bbc.co.uk)
- Somali Gunmen Kill Radio Employee Over Militant Comment (voanews.com)
- Fourth Somali journalist killed in Mogadishu in 24 hours (elaineossipov.wordpress.com)
- Somali poet shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Mogadishu (earththreats.com)