Earthquakes hit the Pacific Coast
Anacortes Wa., | Elaine Ossipov | 28th of October, 2012.
Just two days after the beginning of one of the largest hurricanes of the season, the east coast scrambling for safety and the Pacific Coast is hit with two Earthquakes the epicenter landing on one of the outside lying Queen Charlotte Islands. This, the first of the two, was 7.7 on the richter scale and focused 17.5 KM underground.
The next some seven hours and approximately 10 miles off the coast was much milder and rang in at a 4.4 magnitude.
So far, no injuries or loss of life have been reported.
The Queen Charlotte Islands lay off the coast of British Columbia lay about halfway between Washington State and Alaska. With the islands south side facing the Queen Charlotte Sound and the Hecante straight between the island and British Columbia the area is teaming with both fish and wildlife. Cousteau, Custodians of the Sea filmed a “Pacific northwest: Land of the Living Totems” here in 1988. The giant Octopus hides in the shallows of this island and when caught can weight up to 100 pounds and be over 20 feet in diameter, although larger ones have been reported, this is the largest caught.
This area is also known for it’s pods of Killer Whales and Eagles. The island itself lies just sound of 55 degrees North Longitude between the 130 & 135th latitudes for those of you who wanted to look it up on google earth.
These little guys are from the Bowie Sea Mount
The Delta submersible was used to explore the Bowie Seamount in 2000
- This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
|Depth||17.5 km (10.9 miles)|
|Region||QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS REGION|
|Location Uncertainty||horizontal +/- 14 km (8.7 miles); depth +/- 4 km (2.5 miles)|
|Parameters||NST=716, Nph=716, Dmin=267.2 km, Rmss=0.95 sec, Gp= 58°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=A
- Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.
- Preliminary Earthquake Report
You can view more data at:
- U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center:
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver
- 7.7-magnitude quake hits Queen Charlotte Islands, Canada: USGS (philstar.com)
- 7.7 Earthquake ROCKS BC Canada Poss. Tsunami (ireport.cnn.com)
- You: CANADA: Powerful earthquake strikes off Canada coast (france24.com)
- Canada’s close shave: British Columbia escapes earthquake disaster (rt.com)
- Earthquake measuring 7.7 magnitude hits Canada (indiavision.com)
- Tsunami warning for Hawaii after Canadian earthquake (capitalfm.co.ke)